Tuesday 31 May 2016

My Welcoming experience to Canada

My Welcoming experience to Canada


       Sometimes it takes courage to enter a new environment, especially immigrating to a new nation at thirteen years old. When I entered the Canadian school system in grade 8, I had no deep understanding of the Canadian culture and the English language. I started school in Canada as an English Second Language student and expected it to be tremendously difficult to integrate into the Canadian culture. Boy, was I wrong! Not only were teachers extremely helpful, my Canadian classmates also welcomed me with open arms introducing me to the world famous Canadian hospitality. They took me to Canada Place on Canada Day, watched fireworks in downtown on the beach, lent me books that were challenging but interesting for me to read. I felt included and very much appreciated because teachers and students accepted me as part of them.

       Most importantly, my school embraced my math acumen and encouraged me to attend math competitions. First, the school allowed me to skip two grades in math so I was able to advance to university level in grade 11. Then my principal signed me up for the Canadian Open Math Challenge (in which I received second place nationally) and encouraged me to advance to the best of my abilities. I felt support in all my endeavours. Although English was still obstacle, I received after school help from many teachers whose efforts helped me enter regular classes just as my other Canadian classmates. In a short six months, I was attending regular classes with my Canadian counterparts, an indication of my hard work and support from my teachers and friends. When I received a $500 cheque from the University of Waterloo for getting first place in the Canadian Senior Math Contest, I was called in to the principal’s office and given a pat on the back and a bar of chocolate! He also wrote several letters of recommendation on my behalf to UBC so I could take advanced math while attending high school.


       This country has been nothing but generous and welcoming to an immigrant who appreciates every single moment he is in Canada. In fact, I can now say I understand the essence of Canadian-ness: magnanimity, cordialness, acceptance, and unconditional encouragement. For that, I thank Canada and its people for accepting my family and giving me all the opportunities available. This year, I will represent Canada in the International Mathematical Olympiad (affiliated to UNESCO) in Hong Kong. 


Image from http://www.math.ubc.ca/Dept/Photos/COMC/COMC2015/IMG_9882-r.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment