Friday 10 June 2016

A Lesson I Learned in Life

A Lesson I Learned in Life

     I have grown up in a family as an only child doted on by both parents. I had both my mother and father’s attention and their blessings in whatever ventures I endeavours. However, all changed when I was thirteen years old, when my family added one more member-my little brother. When I saw him on the day he was born, he seemed more like a gift from God to our family since he appeared so suddenly and quietly in the family. I was overjoyed that I was no longer alone and have a little brother to play with. Little did I know how much my brother’s presence would change my relationship with my parents.

     Naturally, my mom and dad could not spend time with me anymore and needed to take care of my baby brother all the time. At first, I was a bit disturbed with the sense of isolation, although I knew better than to complain. Then I got used to managing things on my own: washing my own clothes, cook my own dinner sometimes, go to school on my own, and deal with school problems on my own. My brother’s arrival brought joy to the family, but also maturity and independence to me. Also, I began to see a different side of my parents that I was never privileged to: the unconditional love that parents show their children. Obviously, my parents’ love of me has not changed, but I got to see how much they needed to sacrifice to be 100% there for my brother. I realized that was how they were with me, except I had no memories of when I was two. Children form long term memories when they almost reach school age, but it is before that time when parents sacrificed the most. And for that, I thank my brother for letting me see the beauty of parental love. Thus, the birth of a little brother is a gift for my life, and I am sure I will become the responsible big brother in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment