Tuesday 31 May 2016

My Favourite Book of All Time

My Favourite Book of All Time 


     My favorite book is Thinking in Numbers by Daniel Tammet. Tammet, a math savant, illustrates his unique perspectives of math and how numbers can be used to explain other trifles in his life. Although Tammet and I both love math, our views of math and life are completely different. For example, Tammet, autistic savant, once mentioned that numbers are colorful and always move around, but I think numbers are stationary but are different in sizes. Nevertheless, we can both observe patterns in groups or series of numbers, and then analyze the reasons behind the patterns. From another perspective, Tammet also enjoys sharing the love of mathematics with others; he goes to different countries and teaches children there about his unique vision of math. He observes that the Chinese language helps children remember basic rules of multiplication. I, on the other hand, also get involved in sharing my passion with others. I help younger students and volunteers organize math competitions and do lectures on the interesting topics to younger children (at the second grade level). I also try to introduce some games for them to learn during play. Tammet’s book shows just how practical math could be and how much fun people can have if they just incorporate math into their lives.





Image from http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/image/4197986-3x4-700x933.jpg



Image from http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02312/tammet-illo_231182_2312047a.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment